The College of Radiographers is aware of the financial challenges that can stand in the way of some who aspire to train as therapeutic radiographers limiting their individual potential and affecting their career opportunities.
We understand the difficulty of giving up paid employment (e.g. if you are currently a support worker in radiotherapy) to attend a degree programme and we know that those wishing to commence a radiography degree programme as a second degree often have existing commitments and circumstances preventing them from doing so.
Due to a generous legacy, the College has established the Valerie Carr Award; a programme that supports individuals to study and graduate in pre-registration therapeutic radiography in England and Wales.
The Valerie Carr Award
What you need to know:
- Our new bursary provides up to £6k per year for students in Wales; and payment of tuition fees for a three-year degree in Radiotherapy/Therapeutic Radiography in England
- Each year the bursary can be awarded to a maximum of five individuals, who are seeking to enrol on a programme of undergraduate or postgraduate pre-registration study leading to an honours degree in therapeutic radiography
- Only individuals who are yet to start their therapeutic radiography programme are eligible to apply for the award
- Eligible programmes include full-time or part-time pre-registration courses in England or Wales approved by the College of Radiographers and the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Applications need to be made directly to the College of Radiographers after first registering your interest using this form. Once you have done this you will receive a unique password to access the application form
- The deadline for applications is Wednesday 1 December 2021
Register your interest
Please register your interest as soon as possible, as you will need time before the application deadline to gather references and prepare your supporting statement.
When you register your interest, you will be emailed details of what is expected in the references and supporting statement.
The bursary is open to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- For whom the course will be a second degree or is working as a support worker in radiotherapy.
- Has a right to work in the UK and is resident in England or Wales.
- Is not following an apprenticeship route.
- Is not receiving a student loan or other sponsorship to cover the course fees for the programme in which they are enrolled. (England only)
- Can demonstrate that their circumstances prevent them from being able, without support, to join the course.
- Is aged 18 or over at the intended start date of the programme.
For more information about the Valerie Carr Award please see this guidance document which covers:
- Statement of purpose
- Equality, diversity and inclusion statement
- Eligibility and assessment criteria checklist
- Process diagrams
- Terms and conditions
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]